Thursday, January 30, 2014

Well Shunt!!!!

We didnt quite make it to our goal of 1 year but the odds had always been stacked against us anyways. It all started Friday afternoon. We hadnt heaed any results from Neuro about her MRI that she had the day before. This didn't strike me as odd. I just figured she looked perfect and there was no need for action. I had a voicemail from Childrens saying they needed to review info for her procedure on Tuesday. I thought to myself she isn't having a procedure on Tuesday. I called the number back and the automated line answered saying " Thank you for calling same day surgery"  **insert panic face here**  I talked to the nurse at same day surgery and informed her that Emma wasnt having any procedures on Tuesday. She said have you spoken with neuro. Uhhhhhh NEGATIVE. So she transferred me. I spoke with Amy Dr. Stevenson's sweet clinic nurse who informed me there were some changes to Emma's MRI and Dr Stevenson blocked some OR time in case he sees her on Monday and thinks she needs some further action. So now we had to wait ALLLLLLLLLL weekend until we could speak with our favorite neuro.

Monday came we spoke with dr Stevenson and he said that SB babies ventricles typically dont get enlarged with a shunt malfunction. They arent sure why they just dont. But her vents did appear a little larger and her syrinx along her spinal column was bigger too. Her appearance was fine as was her behavior but he pushed and pushed and pushed on her shunt and determined it wasnt refilling right and she needed a revision. Like I said the odds have always not been in our favor but we had a good run with her original shunt.

Emma had a shunt revision Tuesday Jan 28th at 12 noon. We were home by Wednesday around 5 pm. It amazes me how quick nour kiddos can bounce back. They are such champs!!!!! We will have a follow up with Dr. Stevenson in 2 weeks but until then we just do wound care.

I know many of you have prayed for Emma alot in her little life but even more so in this past few days. Please keep them coming. Pray that this new shunt will last a VERY long time and she wont have any infections  or problems with it. You all have been our prayer warriors from day 1 and we so appreciate you!!!

Preop lovings with daddy!!!
Home at last!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment