Tuesday, January 8, 2013

First NST/AFI

So talk about acronyms, oh the things you learn.

 NST= Non stress test, this is where they had me lay down for about 20 minutes and hooked me up to a monitor to watch Emma's heartbeat. And cause stress to the parents I'm sure. We got to the hospital at 3:30 pm and got all hooked up to the monitors. The kind nurse explained that they are looking for a baseline and then for a fluctuation that coincides with Emma's movements.

It was so nice to be able to sit there are hear her heart just thump away, but as we've learned by now our little girl isn't one to cooperate easily. The nurse informed us that Emma wasn't behaving like she was supposed to so they would have to "buzz" her. What is that you ask? Well it reminded Peter and I of one of those hand buzzers that pranksters have in their hand and then when you shake their hand it startles you. We could hear a buzz, and then I felt a little vibration as I am sure Emma could hear and feel as well, so she did that not once, not twice but three times. On the third try it made Emma REALLY mad. Her heart rate jumped up to 167. The nurse was pleased. LOL!

AFI= Amniotic fluid index. For this they want to make sure that Miss Emma has enough fluid. It was a VERY QUICK ultrasound. Although we got a sneak peek at her little piggies, they are SOOOO cute, although I may be biased!  They measured four quadrants and said that it was at 19.5. We were informed that it shouldn't exceed 24.

These visits will happen twice weekly until she's here! Right now we are on a Monday/Thursday schedule which I think will work nicely! Also on the first Thursday of each month we will have an ultrasound to check her growth! I look forward to this for obvious reasons but I just LOVE looking at our little girl!

As always we appreciate your thoughts and prayers, please pray for us on Thursday I have the dreaded glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. Praying this comes back negative!! Thanks guys

And as always...

At the end of the day this is what matters

No comments:

Post a Comment